Monday, November 19, 2007

Me want cookie!!!

Few days back, while I was talking to Nicole, she told me, 'Me want to drink water'. I was surprised, as she knows when to use 'I' and when to use 'me' previously. Has never heard speaking in 3rd person. Then, I realised that she must have picked it up from TV, probably while watching Sesame Street. Sesame Street has been around for a very long time. During my time, there weren't shows like Out of the box, Danny & Daddy, Johnny and the Sprites, Fun Song Factory and the like. Kids nowadays have plenty of educational programs to choose from and some of them are very good, even for adults.

Back to my point. Though Sesame Street does teach kids lot of things, like counting (who can forget The Count?), alphabets, songs and games, as parents, we should pay attention to the child's grammar. It might be cute to hear cookie monster say 'Me want cookie!!!' but it's not grammatically correct. It's good to watch the program together with the child. A friend asked me if I correct my kids' grammar. I said of course. It's always better to start young, rather than when they're older and bad habits are hard to get rid off. Don't get me wrong, not trying to be snobbish. The kids have however, learnt to laugh like The Count and they do get a kick out of it when I join in together.

As Daphne is younger, her vocab is pretty limited. But don't be fooled, she can sing all kinds of songs apart form the obligatory Twinkle Twinkle Little start and Barney's I love you. Once, when were having dinner in a Japanese restaurant, she could actually sing along to the song that was being played. Of course not word for word, but you could tell that she was paying attention to the melody and trying to catch the words at the end of each phrase. She could even sing along to a Chinese oldie from one of my mother-in-law's CDs. And when you look at her while she sings, all she does is melt you with her smile.

No comments: