Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Of the old and new

There have been lots of 'Kopitiams' opening these days. Most prominent of call is Old Town. You can find it everywhere. The food that they serve is simple, yet you will see a steady crowd at any of the outlets.

But.....bet you've never heard of New Town Kopitiam! Guess the owner didn't feel like paying for the franchise. :-) My missus and I were curious as to what kind of food would be served, so we went there last night with the kids. Open entering, you can feel that the decor was the same and also different from it's more famous counterpart. Among the 'foods' and drinks available on the menu were the usual coffees, teas, 'cuppucino', 'french fried', toasts, chicken chop, nasi lemak and of course, half boiled eggs.

I had the orange white coffee, missus had hong kong milk tea. The kids had apple juice and we ordered the french toast. The food and drinks came quick and they were all not too bad. Nothing to shout about though. However, I did spot another patron having curry mee....looked quite nice. Will try it out the next time.

At the back of my mind, I was thinking, the owner's pretty shrewd. While using certain aspects of it's more famous counterpart but incorporating a different menu, I think he managed to pique people's curiosity to check out the establishment. And I must say, that even for a skeptic like me, I would give this place a second chance. Pricing wise, I would think that it's on the high side. But then.....he must be working on the good thing not cheap, cheap thing not good theme.

No comments: