Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Where not to eat

Ever gone back to a restaurant because you enjoyed your last visit but got totally disappointed the second time? Could it be because your expectations have been set to high? Is it because business has bloomed and the chef has no choice but to get the help of unskilled helpers in the kitchen? Or is it because the waiters/waitresses are groggy from not getting enough sleep? Or could it be down to complacency and as a result consistency goes down the drain?

Well, the missus, kids and I were already hungry. And so we decided to go back to this restaurant called Little Kitchen which serves Italian food.

Made the mistake of ordering the set dinner. First course, watered down ‘Soup of the day’. Then the main course, pasta al fredo, which the waiter said was supposed to be accompanied by tomato based sauce (I wasn’t sure cause I am not Italian mah :-), so I asked the waiter) turning out to be cream based with herbs and it tasted really bland. For desert, some gello/gelatin based cake masquerading as cheese cake. Coffee, Tea or Milo was part of the set. I asked for milo. The waiter brought tea. I told him I asked for milo from the waitress ealier. He brings it back to the kitchen. Then the waitress comes and tells me milo is the 3 in 1 kind. In my mind I was thinking, “What the?!!!”. But instead, I said ‘Never mind. I’ll take the tea’. By this time, I was already fuming mad. Only consolation was that my kids were eating the food, quite happily actually. Call me a snob, but I would definitely avoid letting my kids eat such lousy food again.

The missus ordered a pizza and ostrich soup. We also ordered fried calamari, which was quite nice and crunchy. Nothing fantastic though. The pizza was edible and tasted not bad but the soup had pieces of meat in them which has the consistency of rubber. On our previous visit, we had the same ostrich soup as well and it was much much better then. The pizza was served after the soups, so I thought maybe they just suck as soup and my main course would be better. But what do you know? They suck at everything!! To top it off, it wasn’t cheap either. Definetely a write off.

Oh yeah…before the cake was served, tomato based waiter comes and asks me, in these exact words. ‘Hello. Do you want a drink?’

No comments: