Friday, October 9, 2009

Zee Avi

Zee Avi. Not many have heard of her. But she's a rising star in her own right and she's a Malaysian to boot. I first heard of her on youtube about 6 months back. Since then she has launched an album and I recently purchased it. The album version left me feeling short changed. Don't get me wrong. It's still good, but she should fire the sound engineer as I felt it wasn't recorder well and the arrangement could have been better.
The live version was livelier, had more punch and well....better. In the album versions, some of the instruments drowned Zee's voice and it was like as though she was the accompaniment. Songs like Bitter Heart and Kantoi....I think record sales would be better if it was the live version, with the different sets of instruments. An example would be Bitter Heart. Why is there a trumpet solo?

Live version


Album version


Anyway, it's not a reflection of Zee. She's talented, has a nice voice and can play a mean yuke! She must be very proud of herself. And I really think this is an example of where the Internet has been made good use of. Without it, people like Zee and Lily Allen might not have been discovered.

No comments: